Disposable sandwich and snack bags are a very handy item to have but they are also extremely wasteful. In this DIY project you will learn how to make reusable sandwich bags and snack bags. You can use any type of material you like, but I suggest using 100% cotton for the outer fabric. These handy little bags will save you a ton of money on store-bought plastic bags and cut down on unnecessary waste. Whenever you are finished using them, simply throw them in the washer for round 2.
- 14-1/2” square fabric for the outside
- 12-1/2” square fabric for the lining
- Polyester thread
- 7/8” wide ribbon
- Fabric glue
- Bobby pins
- 3/4 x 4-1/2” hook and loop tape
- The first step is to place the outer fabric with the wrong side up and fold in a 1/2” seam on one side and press. Fold in another 1/2” seam and press so you have a finished seam. Repeat this step on the other 3 sides.
- Once you have all of the corners folded in, miter them by folding, gluing or sewing.
- If you want to attach a label to your bag, the best time to do it is now. You can write a name on ribbon and sew it or glue it onto the bag.
- Place the diamond shaped fabric, right side up and the place whichever corner you want to be the top at the bottom. Cut the center label 2-1/2” up from the bottom corner and sew into place with your thread.
- Now you are going to take your outer fabric and place it right side down on the table. Take your liner fabric and place it right side up on top of the outer fabric. Tuck the liner fabric under the unsewn seams of the outer fabric and secure with your bobby pins.
- Sew the inner edge of the folded seam onto the outer fabric using a 1/8” seam allowance.
- Find the corner you choose to be the top flap and sew the 1-1/2” hook and loop tape 1/2” down from the corner on the liner fabric. Allow for a 1/8” seam.
- Lastly sew the loop tape 1/2” down from the opposite corner on the outer fabric allowing for a 1/8” seam allowance.
This DIY project only requires a few materials but it can be very tricky to complete. If you have any suggestions as to how I can make these instructions clearer or easier, feel free to comment below. I hope this blog has empowered you to throw away your disposable sandwich bags and start using reusable ones. Feel free to ask any questions and as always, thanks for taking the time to read our blog!
Story Via: www.bhg.com