Garbage disposals have been a topic of environmental debate for quite some time. On one side of the coin you have environmentalists and on the other side you have garbage disposal manufactures. Since both parties have their allegiances, Budget Dumpster plans to deliver an unbiased opinion on if you should have one of these in your sink!

The Overview:

John W. Hammes invented the garbage disposal in 1927 and by 1935 the InSinkErator company was providing waste removal solutions across the United States. As we moved into the 1940’s, the garbage disposal began to receive criticism for its potential to containment water. Flash forward to present day, over half of all homes in the United States have some type of disposal unit. However only 6% of all of Europe have adopted the system.

The Environmental Side:

Many people that consider themselves Eco-Friendly have described garbage disposal as the worst thing to every happen to the waste water industry and think that they should be completely outlawed. Recently garbage disposal providers are positioning the company as the green alternative to dumping, which really has riled up environmentalists. The primary opposition of garbage disposals is that it can harm our drinking water.

6-treegug

Those who are pro-garbage disposals are quick to point out the negative impact from trucks hauling food waste to landfills. Although we must limit as much waste as possible headed to landfills, food waste is 3 times more beneficial for waste-to-energy facilities. If a person takes the time to properly sort their food waste before throwing it in the trash can, all of our lights could be fueled by our food scraps.

Another component to the anti garbage disposal movement is that food is the biggest contributor to clogging sewers in the United States. When sewers become clogged, a majority of the time the sewage water will overflow into uncontaminated bodies of water and it is very costly. San Francisco spends roughly $3.5 million every year unclogging blockages, usually from food waste.

The Garbage Disposal Side:

There has been a variety of garbage disposal bans since the creation of the product but almost all of them have been reversed after conducting studies. Well what about the contaminated water? Garbage disposal providers respond that 70% of all food scraps is water and the other 30% is taken care of at the treatment facility. Every year garbage disposals are able to divert 31 million tons of waste just in the United States.

Although food waste can be good for converting into energy, it is usually just dumped into a normal landfills. When food decomposes it begins to produce methane, a greenhouse gas that is 20 times more harmful than carbon dioxide. A recent study even concluded that if 30,000 households implement a garbage disposals in their community, it would be the environmental equivalent to people not driving 4.6 million miles.

garbage-disposal-closeup-590ls031710

Garbage disposals can cause clogging, but it is usually from homeowners attempting to dispose things other than food through their sink. According to another study, 1,200 U.S. waste water treatment plants use a product very similar to a garbage disposal just on a larger scale. It is just a matter of time before more counties begin to utilize the garbage disposal system.

In Conclusion:

It seems with the advancement of technology, combined with environmental regulations it is very unlikely your garbage disposal is committing any additional harm to our world. It is more likely many decades ago, garbage disposal were more of a convenience. However, now they are both convenient and environmentally friendly. Budget Dumpster supports any waste removal solutions especially the garbage disposal. If you are in need of waste removal on a larger scale, please contact Budget Dumpster right now!