I grew up in a garage sale type of family. We fully embraced the ‘Reduce, Reuse, Recycle’ motto, and were under the impression that someone would not only want the crap that we no longer found useful, but that they would actually pay us for it. I do not revoke all things garage sale, as I have experienced them on both sides and will never discredit the ability to find value in items that others have forsaken (such as original artwork, record collections, or anything with an American Flag on it), but these items can just as easily be found in a dumpster. Garage sales may also be useful in teaching lessons to your children by not being wasteful and earning money; or provide income for a struggling family; or give an otherwise introverted person forced interaction. So I will neither judge nor call a garage sale worthless. With that said, I believe that the idea and monotonous process of the garage sale is an effort in futility.


If I had to estimate the percentage of our stuff that was actually sold in my family’s garage sales, I think it would probably be 25-30%. That leaves at least 70% of crap that is left to cycle through the never-ending system of donation center warehouse, to thrift store, to temporary housing, and back to failed garage sale. It is a tough life for worthless household goods in America, and it is one that can be avoided with either of two options. The first is the one I would recommend, and that is to donate your goods to an organization that will make sure they reach an underdeveloped country. Even stuff that we no longer have use for can serve a significant purpose to those less fortunate. The second is the simpler route of getting a roll off dumpster rental and discarding all the debris. The latter would not only be the fastest and easiest method of purging your worthless goods, but by cutting your losses (the amount of time and effort it would take to make $87 at a garage sale) you can simplify your life quickly and easily.