A new kind of gas fuel is coming to Lebanon, Tennessee, a town just outside of Nashville. The new fuel comes from a downdraft gasification plant that converts blended wood, tires, and sewer sludge to a synthetic gas that can generate up to 300 Kw of electricity per day. PHG Energy is supplying the area with the plant, which will be their 14th gasifier project to date. The company plans for this one to be the largest of its kind in the world.

The electricity generated from the waste will power the facility as well as provide electricity to the wastewater treatment plant it will be nestled next to. It is expected to keep over 8,000 tons of waste out of landfills for each year it is in operation as well. About 95% of all waste that goes into the gasifier comes out as fuel and the other 5% can be recycled or sold to industrial or agricultural outlets.

The plant will have a capital cost of $3.5 million, the funding for which has come from a federal program that provides bond subsidies to local projects that focus on energy conservation. About 70% of the interest expense accrued through this project will be covered by these bonds to repay communities.

It’s rather impressive that 100% of the materials generated through this gasification plant can be used in some form. This facility will not only be creating energy, but diverting numerous waste types from ending up in landfills. And keep in mind that these are forms of refuse known to be particularly tricky to deal with. We’ll do some more digging on these downdraft gasification plants and see what we find. Waste-to-energy is one of our favorite topics here at The Fill given that it is a double benefit in terms of waste removal and energy production. Without unique ideas such as these, we don’t want to think about where our planet would be right now. We’ll post any follow up stories on this particular plant should something come up.

Source: Environmental Leader

Image Source: Wikimedia Commons – Doosan Power Systems